Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Atwood Family in America

During the past week, I have been researching my Atwood family connection, beginning with Harriett Atwood who married James Baldridge in Madison County, Mississippi in 1834, and working myself back to the 1700s. Interestingly, over a two hundred year period, I found a number of Atwood women named Harriett. But it was not until yesterday, when I discovered this article during a Google search, that I knew why so many of the Atwood female children were named "Harriett."

The article also validates the Atwood family's settlement in New England after its patriarch, Abraham Atwood, arrived with other colonists in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The name "Abraham," like Harriett, was handed down to subsequent generations of Atwood male family members, including Abraham Atwood who claimed land in Bibb County, Georgia for his service in the War of 1812.

Next: The Atwood Family in the South

No comments:

Post a Comment