Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Monday, April 5, 2010

Calhoun County, Mississippi Courthouse Fire - 1922

Still on the trail of my Gibson ancestors, today I called the Calhoun County Courthouse in Pittsboro, Mississippi and talked to an individual who works in the Circuit Clerk's Office. Although the clerk with whom I spoke was friendly and willing to help, the information he provided stopped my search before it ever began - the Calhoun County Courthouse burned in 1922. Since I am searching for county records that existed during the mid-late 1800s, this was very sad news. Although I was disappointed, I was not surprised, since burned courthouses seem to have been a common occurrence in many places during the years that open fires were used for warmth.

Tomorrow I plan to contact other courthouses nearby, including the ones located in Yalobusha, Chickasaw, and Carroll Counties. And the search for John P. Gibson and his descendants will continue.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete