Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Downtown Brandon and Old Brandon Cemetery on National Register of Historic Places

According to an article in the online version of RankinLedger, downtown Brandon, Mississippi, county seat of Rankin County, as well as the Old Brandon Cemetery will be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

Photo by Natalie Maynor

The cemetery containing more than 1000 graves, with some dating back to 1834, is the burial place for two former Mississippi governors, Robert Lowry and Anselm McLaurin. Also of special historical significance is the fact that Old Brandon Cemetery is the final resting place for the remains of 200 Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Battle of Shiloh.

To see photos and read more about historic places in Brandon, Mississippi, visit the website for the Brandon Historic Preservation Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment