Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Finding Your Ancestral Home

As a family researcher, I am always looking for information and photos about where my ancestors actually lived. I want to know how they lived, what they did for a living, where they went to church or synagogue, and how and where they were educated. Several months ago, during a moment of genealogical curiosity, I decided to search the National Register of Historic Places to see if any of my ancestors' names were attached to places listed there. Not only did I find photos of the old Porter homestead in Mississippi, I found photos of three historic houses named for other ancestors who lived in Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina. So, if you have some brick walls to be broken down, or at least scaled, take a look at the list.  Maybe you will find your ancestral home and the other resources needed to make your brick wall crumble.


Note:  Mississippi's Register of Historic Places can be accessed here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying reading your blog.

    I'm giving you the "One Lovely Blog" award.

    Please visit this entry on my blog to accept your award, and see the rules for passing it on:
    http://dee-burris.livejournal.com/59430.html

    Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is another website to try http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/ The HABS project (Historic American Buildings) has been invaluable to me, and I have found many ancestors and cousins houses and buildings here, including one built by a cousin who moved to Hawaii in the 1830s!

    ReplyDelete