Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Friday, June 17, 2011

Gibson Family of Craven County, South Carolina

Yesterday was a "South Carolina Research" day for me.  No, I did not travel to South Carolina.  I simply perused online books available through GoogleBooks (quite a few, I might add) about the history of South Carolina.  And yes, I am still looking for the parents of my great-great-great-grandfather, John P. Gibson, born about 1799 in South Carolina. Thanks to bits and pieces of Gibson family history found in one of those online books, I have now confirmed that Gideon Gibson and Jordan Gibson, born in the 1700s, were brothers. I was unsuccessful, however, in uncovering the names of their parents who had allegedly migrated to Craven County, South Carolina from Virginia.  Next, I plan to research the descendants of these two Gibson brothers, Jordan and Gideon - it stands to reason that John P. Gibson, must be one of them.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am also a Gibson descendant, and my ancestors were John Gibson, who was born in 1774 in South Carolina, and his wife Sarah, born in 1775. John's father was also John. Do you have any information on this couple? Thanks!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to research the Gipson/Gibson family for a friend (as I am a genealogist). I believe she is descended from Wiley Gipson b. 1809 SC m. Mary A. They moved from SC to AL to Lauderdale Co. Mississippi. Children: Nancy E. b. AL 1832; Charles W. b. MS 1837; Sabia A. b. MS 1839, James A. b. 1844 AL.

    I believe that Wiley Gipson is related to an Allen Gipson b. SC 1812 m. Tabitha, and is on the same 1850 census page with Wiley.

    I do hope someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction.

    Thank you.
    Susan in South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am looking for hugh fredrick gibson from cleveland now living i s carolyna or n carolyna i am rhonda gibson williams can you help thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Great, Great Grandfather appears to have been Henry S Gibson from Greenville SC, it appears he had a son with a slave who was owned by the Barton family of Greenville SC. My Great Grandfather's name was also Henry Gibson born in 1865, looking to find the name of my Great, Great Grandmother and to find out the relationship between the Barton and Gibson families both trace back to Kent England.

    ReplyDelete